Weight loss goal

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I feel Autumn in the Air!

It's been 2 years since I've gone on any backpacking trips and I miss it and the fun. I love being outdoors in nature especially in the Autumn or early Spring. One of my goals is to get back into shape enough to go backpacking again. With the cooler weather coming I'm really feel the urge (my mind is willing but my body isn't). I look at my AOC (Atlanta Outdoors Club) website and see all the good trips they are going on and I want to go too! I have a lot of friends on FB that belong and I keep up with them there and ENVY them for all the trips they are going on.   To me backpacking is the idea way to go.  You hike into where you want to go, set up your tent and then sit around (or go explore) and visit with your friends. You watch the sun go down and get up with the sunrise...Awww I love those mornings..froze my ass off a few times but it was worth it. You get an extra hike in early in the morning and then you head back to town...I have some really good memories of some really good trips.
So why don't I sign up for a trip?  First ...all backpacking trips are on the weekends (and I work weekends ) and second I now weigh 50 pounds more than I did when I was backpacking....It's like carrying an extra backpack on my body..My backpack (fully loaded) weighs around 35 pounds..I'm not sure I could carry that and the extra weight I've gained for 5-10 miles.
So although I can't (I hate that word) go backpacking this year, I can at least get in some local hikes on my days off and work toward getting in shape so I can go in the spring (by then I'm hoping to be getting weekends off at work). . I've signed up for the hike next Weds and I can't wait..I know the trip leader (she's a hoot and I love her personality) but the rest of the group are "newbie's " (meaning I don't know them). So far I'll be the oldest (nothing new there), but I'm not going to let that stop me. It's at a park that I haven't been to on the other side of town and It will take me only about an hour to drive there. I plan on checking out as many new parks as I can this fall/winter. My fav time to hike is early morning and although this hike is in the evening (after work for most) I'm happy with it..That will give me time to get to the park early and check out things..like where the nearest bathroom is LOL.

Other news and thoughts..
(this is a rant) I did go to the gym yesterday after going to the Dollar Store....It's a differant location than I've been going to.. I worked as a sales counselor (I found out that I'm not aggressive enough to be in this kind of sales) when this location first opened up. It's weird how 2 gyms (same company) could be so differant. The one I go to regularly is on my way home from work, and it is the one that I worked out at for 5 years feels like home to me. I love going there because I know people there (no matter what time of day I go I ALWAYS see someone I know), I know the machines (although they aren't that differant at the other sites, it seems to make a differance to me) . The differance to me is staggering..if I had to go to the gym I went to yesterday on a regular basis, I don't think I would!  I ended up going around 3 pm and there were maybe 10 people in the place (sales included). Not one person even acknowledged me..now I'm not there for a social life but what I like about my regular gym is that even if someone doesn't talk to you at least they will have eye contact with you acknowledging that you are there. There was no one on the treadmills, elliptical and one person on the life cycle (this is weird to me). The machine I really went there for was the StairMonster and I knew they had three of them...Of course ALL three were being used...so I ended up doing 30 mins on the Elliptical..about 20 mins in I got a cramp in my foot that would not go away...so when I finished with my 30 mins I left...I decided that I wanted to get a good upper workout at my reg gym tonight and then I'll do lower on Friday...So although I didn't get as good of a work out as I had planned at least I did do something. I will be so glad to be back at where I feel comfortable and welcomed tonight.. Got my bag packed and am ready for the gym!!!! Whooohooo!


On the Positive Side..
Yay....Michael Grimm, who I wanted to win
America's Got Talent...WON!!!!!
I so will buy his music when it comes out in the stores. I love his bluesy type of music. I see he already has my favorite "Leave Your Hat On" on iTunes.
Mark my words..this guy will be a big hit!

If you ask me this was the best year ever for AGT!.

1 comment:

  1. Backpacking in the fall is so nice, it's cool and the bugs aren't keeping you company. I'm sure you'll work your way back into it.

    ReplyDelete