Weight loss goal

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I survived the hike!

It turned out a little different than I planned though.
I got to the park on time and met up with the group which consisted of the trip leader D, Sandra with her black dog,  2 first time hikers Ava (from Mexico) and Tanya (from France) three guys (one with a dog) and me. Sandra with the dog was probably the youngest of us all in her late 30's early 40's, as usual I was the oldest in the group.  We started out fine. I talked with D and one of the guys (who just happened to have the same name as my cuz Glen). After about a mile and half of keeping up a fairly fast pace I fell back to the end of the pack with Glen. I always feel more comfortable being the last one in the line, that way I don't slow anyone down.
 We were all spread out and the trail was pretty easy, not exactly flat but no big hills, I had my favorite walking stick that helps me keep the weight off my knees. Then I see Tanya take a fall in front of me. She is probably the next oldest in the group...maybe in her middle 50's. She is crying saying she twisted her foot and that she was dizzy and sick to her stomach.  Now we are in the middle of the hike on a small trail where no one can drive up and pick her up (which is what I think she wanted) so after we got her calmed down. Gave her some Gatorade and I gave her a mint to suck on (to settle her stomach). We got her up out of the trail and using my walking stick had her go to the side of the trail (funny thing is she didn't even limp).
After talking with D who has done this trail before, she and I decided it would be best if Tanya went back the way we had come to a service road that we had crossed which would take us back to the main road. I volunteered to go with her and Ava since I knew the service road and that way once we got to the main road Ava could go back to the parking spot and get her car (she & Tanya had come together) while I stayed with Tanya. The rest of the group would continue and finish the hike.
We took it slow going back and Tanya didn't seem to be having any problem walking. She did tell me that she was on Antibiotics and was wearing a long sleeve jacket so I figured the heat is what was making her dizzy and sick to her stomach. We got her back to the main road with out any trouble and loaded in the car after Ava went and got it. By this time it was 7:30pm and I decided after seeing them off that I would walk around the lake...my usual walk at this park since it would take me too long to catch up with the group. It was a nice night for a walk and by the time I got back to the parking the rest of the group was getting there. So all though I didn't get to hike that much at least I got in a good walk and I met some nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment